Thursday, June 23, 2005

BP update

Went to the doctor this morning - my blood pressure was down to 136/70, which I think is pretty good after only 1 week. I've been doing very well. Exercising 1-2x/day for 20 minutes each time, then laying on my left side for 30 minutes. I've been eating a banana every day for potassium and a big bunch of raw vegetables for the antioxidants. I've been doing my prenatal yoga DVD too and some visualization stuff I read about. While I, unfortunately, lost out on a 2-day temp job today and tomorrow because I had to go to the doctor this morning, it takes much of my day just to do all this stuff to take care of myself.

I did have a bit of protein and ketones in my urine - and bacteria so they're checking that for an infection. She told me to drink more water - I am already drinking 8 glasses a day!! She said Florida is hot, so drink more. So, ok, more water. I go back to see her in two weeks.

I also have to go get my sugar tested for gestational diabetes, which is standard procedure. For that, you go first thing in the morning. She said I could have a piece of cheese toast before, but nothing with any sugar in it. You go in, drink some sort of thickish, orangy sugar drink, and then sit there for an hour. After an hour, they take your blood and check the sugar. I believe it's supposed to be under 95, whatever that means. If you fail the test, they make you do it again - this time for 3 hours. If you fail that, you have to follow a diabetic-type diet and possibly take insulin, depending. Assuming I pass, I'll have to take the test again in another 6 weeks, just to make sure. It's important to catch gestational diabetes early. I don't think it'll be a problem, but better safe than sorry.

No comments: