Tuesday, March 06, 2007

At least I know what I want

Once upon a time we didn't have a dinner table. We finally decided we were tired of eating on the floor at the coffee table in front of the TV, so we got a card table to eat dinner at ($30 for a table, ya dig?). Eventually we moved and Ross needed a desk for work so he took the card table as his "desk" and we were again without a table. So we bought another $30 plasticky table from Wal-Mart. This one is rectangular and very lightweight and it's just not a very good table. Not if you like cutting your chicken without spilling your drink, anyway. It just didn't make any sense to us to spend the money buying a table when we want to buy a house in the next two years and we'd just have to buy another table then. Plus we'd have to move it when we move, which has been fairly often. Well, I have since rethought that because I'm just sick of wobbly plastic tables and spilling drinks.

I know what I want, I just don't know how to find it.

I want a smallish table (the dining area is small), dark wood, square or rectangular, preferably with some sort of flair to it (though "flair" is last on the list of requirements and written in very small letters). And I don't want to pay a lot of money for it. I check craigslist twice a day but so far nothing has met my criteria. If you've been to De Palma's in downtown Athens, GA - I'm thinking a table similar to the ones they have there - or at least they had there the last time I went (which has been a couple of years so they may have changed things).

So if anyone has any ideas on where to find something like that, please let me know! I thought maybe an antique shop, but the stuff I find there is usually either much bigger than would fit or too expensive, though it probably would have the flair.

1 comment:

Mrs Pretzel said...

Good luck with your table search! Ours is a hand me down from Travis' family. One day. I'll buy one. Have you tried the thrift store? Here, I could have spent your 30 on a wood table at least!
~rachel