Thursday, August 16, 2007

Story time

This morning we went to story time at the Cedar Bluff Library. I also got a library card. I've only been meaning to do that since we moved here. Violet had a fantastic time. A woman in the library blew up a balloon and gave it to her before story time started. She asked me if this was ok and I said yes. Silly me. I thought maybe she'd be offering balloons to more of the kids who would be coming in. Nope. Violet and another little boy were completely distracted by the balloon. The boy kept taking it from her and she'd start to pout and put her arms out and say have it? So she didn't get a lot out of actual story time today, but we'll try it again next week without the balloon.

The library is pretty small, but nice. I wanted to see if they had any other books by Anna Dewdney, who wrote one of Violet's favorites Llama Llama Red Pajama, but they only had that one. Maybe there's something else at another branch. I can't really sit down at a computer and look things up when V is with me. But they do have a nice, big area of kids books and a couple of kid-sized tables and some things to color on and crayons. That was great because it kept Vi busy (for the most part) while I picked out four books for her. We read two of them before her nap today. Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton (her books are always winners) and a book titled Green Cat by Dayal Kaur Khalsa, which is also very good. In Green Cat, two kids who share a room think it's too small. So a cat shows up and fills the room with lots of fun stuff, which makes the room seem even smaller. This teaches the kids to be thankful for what they have. I can see that upon repeated readings, Violet will love picking out all the fun stuff the cat brings into the room.

Oh, and this morning when she woke up, Violet said, "Good morning Mama," which was wonderful. A lot of times she just practices speaking by mimicking what she hears, but this she said on her own.

No comments: